The research consists of 4 work packages, all with their corresponding deliverables.
- WP1 and WP2_State of the Art (deliverable No. 1 and 2)
The first two deliverables run in parallel, each with a general section and a part dedicated to case studies. The project will focus on the EU (D.2) and MS (D.1) legal frameworks for managing European funds and combatting irregularities and fraud through European, Constitutional, Administrative, and Criminal Law. Concerning the social, health care, and economic sectors, in particular, D.1 and D.2 will offer insights gleaned from three case studies: the SURE programme, RescEU, and EIF-InvestEU. The MS selection (IT, BE, DE, PO) represents various regional, administrative, and welfare systems. Analysis of the case studies will allow the team to understand what effect the COVID-19 crisis may have on the current legal framework. This study unites a doctrinal and empirical approach, and this use of mixed methods reflects one of the principal ambitions of this research, namely to contribute to finding solutions that can prevent and combat fraud affecting the financial interests of the EU.
- WP3_empirical research (deliverable No. 3, 4 and 5)
- WP 4_recommendations (deliverable No. 6, 7, 8 and 9)
- D9 BETKOSOL (final conference): the final conference took place on 26-27 May 2022. The streaming is available here
- D8 BETKOSOL (articles submissions): The Protection of the EU’s Financial Interests and Pandemic Emergency Tools: an Analysis of the Control Mechanism between the EU and the Member States;
The Protection of the European Financial Interest: From Concrete Practices to Theoretical Recommendations
- D7 BETKOSOL – (Policy Brief)
- D6 BETKOSOL – (final recommendations)
- D5 BETKOSOL – “The protection of the EU financial interest in contemporary age: insights from National and European institutions“
- D4 BETKOSOL – “Databook“
- D3 BETKOSOL – “The protection of the EU financial interests between administrative and criminal tools: the role of OLAF and EPPO (Article submission)“
- D2 BETKOSOL – “The Past and Future of EU Financial Interests“
- D1 BETKOSOL – “The Protection of EU Financial Interests across Four National Legal Systems: a Comparative Perspective“
The publication of all deliverables is expected for the end of the project (30 June 2022).